Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lake Titicaca

Finally! Lake Titicaca! What is there to say?

I went last weekend and visit a floating reed island called Uros and another island, Taquile, that's located 4000m above sea level. It was a little hard to breath. But first, I had to take the bus to Puno, a town located on Lake Titicaca.

Approaching Puno on the bus:


One of the main squares:


The condor at the top of the town. These are really popular in Peru, along with pumas and llamas:


The next morning, I took a boat out to the islands on the lake. Looking back at Puno:


Approaching Uros, a floating island constructed almost entirely of reeds. When you're on it you can feel it moving - so weird! In this pic are some of the people who live there:


Me on Uros:


A reed watchtower:


A little boy carrying a bundle of something outside his house:


The President of Uros, on the right, with a fellow villager, demonstrating how the floating islands are constructed:


A woman from Uros in a reed boat:


A little boy from Uros holding a reed - he was so cute!


On a reed boat going to another floating island:


The reed boat I was on - pretty interesting looking:


We passed an island while on the reed boat and on that island they were building this giant reed fish:


Another floating island, this one with reed teepees:


Beautiful clouds over the lake:


On the way to Taquile, the second island:


Taquile was gorgeous - seemed like a tropical island, except a cold one 4000m above the sea:



Sheep! Reminds me of a moment with my students, going over food vocab. They asked me how to say lamb, and I said, both the animal and the food are "lamb." Then they asked me about sheep, and I said the animal is "sheep." And they said, and the food? I said, we don't eat sheep. They laughed. I guess you had to be there.


This photo and the rest are landscape shots of Taquile - so pretty!






No comments: