Saturday, April 11, 2009

Back in Rome

I got back to Rome last Sunday. Haven't posted because I've been so busy enjoying myself. Tonight I go to Paris to meet my parents. They've already been there since Thursday. I'll be there til Friday, so expect Paris pics soon.

Anyway, I don't have too many Rome pictures yet, but here are some food shots from my first meal back on Monday: la gricia (my favorite !!!) and stuffed artichokes. "Gricia" means gray - so called because it's considered a "gray" amatriciana, meaning it doesn't have tomato sauce. Amatriciana is tomato sauce, pancetta (a kind of bacon product), onions, oil, and pecorino cheese La gricia is all those things minus the tomato sauce. Both are traditionally made with tonnarelli, a long pasta that you buy fresh, not dried.

Preparing on the stove:




La gricia before pecorino...


And after:


A stuffed artichoke alla romana:


Italian food staples: green olives (a specific kind that I have never been able to find even in New York) and fior di latte:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gricia looks good even all the way from across the Atlantic. Here is an older version that I am not so sure about:

http://www.pecorinoromano.com/en/recipes/traditional-recipes/12-gricia.html

--Shashi

michele said...

can i please have that when i come?!?!?