Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mini-giro of Rome

The other day I did a mini-walking tour of the city center. I'm looking forward to October because I've been told by more than one Roman that Rome has the most beautiful Octobers in the world -- the weather is perfect. I'll have to report in on this. In the meantime, here are some photos from my mini-giro:

Ponte Vittorio Emanuele II, which is gorgeously studded with statues. It was built around the turn of the 20th century and gives way to Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, one of the larger streets in Rome's center:



Statues on the bridge:






Castel Sant'Angelo. A little history on this, courtesy of goeurope.com: Built as a cylindrical mausoleum by Rome's Emperor Hadrian on the Tiber river near what is now the Vatican, the Castel Sant Angelo was converted into a military fortress before the Pope fortified it in the 14th century. Castel Sant'Angelo is named after the statue of Archangel Michele (Michael) found on top. Castel Sant'Angelo is now a museum, the Museo Nazionale de Castel Sant'Angelo.



View of the Tevere (Tiber) from the river bank. The river bank is called the "Lungotevere." Each little stretch of the Lungotevere has a different name, ie, "Lungotevere ___".



Random statue/mini-piazza along Corso Vittorio Emanuele II:



Street near Piazza Navona:



Basilica di Sant'Andrea della Valle, a Baroque church that was constructed in the 1500s-1600s. Truly breathtaking inside:



Piazza Navona. Unfortunately, there were both repairs and a concert going on, which blocked my view:



Fontana del Moro, one of three fountains in Piazza Navona. The central statue was designed by Bernini:



Via della Dogana Vecchia. If I'm not mistaken, this is the street, located between Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, where my classes were held when I studied here in 2000.



Later that night, I was walking once again over Ponte Garibaldi, the bridge closest to my house, and I saw this beautiful sight -- the Tevere, with Saint Peter's in the background. I can never resist taking this picture, and I have several by now:

No comments: