Monday, March 9, 2009

Cusco - first days

Things in Cusco are going well so far- my family is nice (Marta, her husband, whom I haven't met yet, and her 12-yr-old daughter, Paola) and I am getting used to the city. My house is about 20 minutes outside the center. I have to take these "buses" (which are more like minivans) to get there. It's not so bad. All of the buses have names and one of the ones I can take is called "Batman" - don't know why.

Today I walked around Cusco and saw some of the sites. I went to 3 cathedrals and the museum of religious art. Some pics:

Mi casa:


Plaza de las Armas, the main square in Cusco:




Basilica Catedral, one of the beautiful cathedrals I visited today. Couldn't take pics inside, unfortunately:


Templo de la Compania, the most beautiful one I saw today. It is also situated on Plaza de las Armas:


I snuck this pic inside from the upper level where the guard couldn't see me:


View of Plaza de las Armas from the upstairs of Templo de las Companias:



A parade was going on in the Plaza too:


It was possible to go up to the bell tower but I was too scared of those slippery barrierless stairs:


El Museo de Arte Religioso:





My final siteseeing destination today, Templo De San Blas. Couldn't get any pics in here; the guards were watching:


Street scenes:






I ate at somewhere called "Yajoo" with the "Yahoo!" logo. No copyright laws down here:


In the Lima airport Saturday, I downed Starbucks like a camel who hasn't seen water in a year. Finally, not drinking Nescafe for the first time in 2 months! Unfortunately, it's now back to Nescafe here in Cusco.

No comments: