Monday, February 23, 2009

Quick Check-in With Real World

And by "real world" I mean the Oscars. This morning I had to get up early to get some work done before school, but the first thing I did was of course to check the winners and an Oscar fashion slide show. A 6-hour red carpet/awards show distilled into 10 min on the internet: done.

Down here in MVD I've been going to the movies a ton because they have fairly recent movies and they have Spanish subtitles instead of dubbing (which they always do in Italy). I don't mind the dubbing in Italian because I know it well enough to understand fine anyway, but my Spanish isn't nearly that good. The problem in Italy is the "recent" part - they will probably get The Wrestler there around Christmas '10. So while down here I've seen Doubt, Revolutionary Road, Benjamin Button, Milk, Slumdog Millionaire, Vicky Christina Barcelona (PC totally deserved that win!), and The Wrestler. Unfortunately, The Reader and Gran Torino don't come out here til after I leave, which I'm kind of sad about. Really wanted to see them and want to see The Reader even more now that she's won. Frost/Nixon is out though so I'm planning on seeing that before I jump to Peru. Will probably also see the Will Smith movie (called Seven Souls in both Italian and Spanish - not sure in English).

Since I am loathe to post without adding a pic, here is one of me this morning at my computer. Sorry, it's the best I could do - if I look tired, I am only a little into my first coffee. Ok, now that I've spent half an hour writing a short blog post about the Oscars and attempting to take a timed photo of myself on top of a giant stack of books, time to work a bit before school. Hasta Luego!!

5 comments:

Dave said...

I loved The Wrestler. Gran Torino was also great, but don't worry, you won't lose anything watching it on DVD. Am I the only one who thought Slumdog Millionaire was totally overrated?

Dave said...

PS! Sorry for all the comment spam, I just started using Google Reader, so I'm a bit overzealous at keeping up with all my favorite blogs (of which yours is one!).

Kristin said...

First of all, thank you so much for your comment on Cabo Polonio - it was so nice to read!!
The Wrestler was awesome but my top two of those listed were Revolutionary Road and Milk. I though Slumdog was cute but I don't get all the hype.
Also, I love the comments!!!

Anonymous said...

The book Slumdog Millionaire was based on was far superior to the movie. So much was changed.

PS: I miss our empenada-a-day diet.

PPS: Believe it or not, I didn't gain any weight on my South American adventure.

Unknown said...

Shashi and I have made it our daily routine to check your blog. We enjoy your writing and your pictures; we feel as though we are visiting Montevideo (and Italy). Shashi also checks the Uruguay Daily News online, especially the weather. Here a few brown patches are showing through the snow. Maybe there will be Spring!

Meanwhile, have a great adventure.

Alice.