Monday, November 10, 2008

Dublin, Ireland

I went over to Dublin for a few days last week. It was so cold and gray that I missed Rome, where it's usually sunny. But it was an interesting city and I took lots of pictures. As far as I can tell, Dubliners love: beer, coffee (in giant take away cups, a la American), and shopping. I was there for the election and it was also interesting to see how into it the Irish were. I guess the whole world was hoping.

Area around the river:







Street shots:











Doors:







Rooftops that reminded me of the chimney sweepers' song and dance number from Mary Poppins, the beloved favorite movie of my childhood that I saw perhaps 1000 times:



Coffee and Cake. I was so excited to be in a country where one could buy giant coffees and American-style baked goods that i even took pictures of them. Below, two cappuccinos and a slice of apple tea bread:







Another thing you can't find in Rome: Mexican food. Corn & chicken soup and a quesadilla in nontraditional form:



The owner of the restaurant told me that Dubliners prefer the burrito shape because it's easier to eat while walking.



St. Patrick's Church. So beautiful:














Dublin castle from the outside. There are only so many museums you can deal with in a day. I went to 3 in one day in Dublin. For me, that's pretty much a record that I may never hit again. My museum tolerance is extremely low, usually hovering around 1/day.



No comments: